Gamification News — January 30, 2013 23:05 — 0 Comments
Let’s talk about games and gamification…
Article written by BigDoor
With the first month of 2013 nearly over, it’s time to set our sights on accomplishing all the goals we set for the BigDoor platform and the gamification industry in 2013. The industry has changed drastically from when I first became aware of it; in the early days, everyone was talking about games. At the root of the ugly, often disliked word “gamification” was the idea that platforms like BigDoor could draw inspiration from game designers, successful games and game mechanics to create something that engaged internet users, employees and people around the world. While that is still true, we do still talk about game mechanics (perhaps incorrectly according to Andrzej Marczewski) I think the gamification industry does itself a disservice by misusing terms and classifying “gamification” examples to include things that really just belong in the “games” bin.
I’m guilty of it too. I’m sure if someone dug through my posts about gamification long enough they could find plenty of times I have praised a well-designed mini-game and tagged it with gamification. This doesn’t help our industry. Gamification has picked up steam in everything from consumer facing gamified loyalty programs, to gamified training, and employee motivation. It is less and less about creating a game and more and more about using what we understand about psychology (often from game designers) to motivate people in various tasks, goals and directions. Gamification has plenty of great examples to demonstrate its powerful abilities, but conflating games and gamification negatively impacts the industry as a whole.
That isn’t to say that lines between gamification and games are black and white. They clearly aren’t and many examples will engage in the grey area between the two. But recently I have seen quite a few gamification industry professionals complimenting or discussing mobile games, mini games and other blatant “game” examples, as representative of the industry. This confuses people who don’t fully understand gamification and detracts from successful gamification examples that are a much better representation of the industry and the direction that it is heading.
When the NRA released “NRA: Practice Range” the #gamification stream on Twitter saw tweets flying by about what a poor example of gamification the game was and gamification industry experts were writing about the release. Undoubtedly, this game is a horrible example of gamification, but not because of its political or controversial implications, it’s a horrible example, because it isn’t gamification. It’s a game. Sure, it has some facts about gun safety tossed in, but it is a mistake to classify every game that has any educational value as “gamification”.
As an emerging industry still defining itself we are bound to make some missteps. Games with clear social purposes sometimes seem to fall somewhere in-between. But gamification industry professionals, experts and fans, let’s make an effort in 2013 to try to separate games, games with social purposes and gamification into separate categories to make things a bit easier.
News From Twitter
- @Bunchball New @Forrester Report Says: It's Not #Gamification, It's How You Use It. http://t.co/sOhWS3iJ0J (via @cmswire)
- @Bunchball Bunchball customer @Care2 uses #gamification for the greater good. Learn how: http://t.co/4aKOEVfW9d
- @Bunchball USA Network Launches Responsive TV Experience (In Partnership with Bunchball) http://t.co/bgbno15RCA (via @MMMagTweets) #gamification
- @badgeville Congrats to @badgeville customer & partner @Marketo on their IPO today! http://t.co/ik4A515tST #marketing #gamification
- @Bunchball Check out @rajatrocks' Loyalty 3.0 intro video and get excited for the June 18 book release! http://t.co/KrU8j39qGy #loyalty30 #gamification
- @Bunchball RT @rajatrocks: 33 days until Loyalty 3.0: How to Revolutionize Customer and Employee Engagement with #BigData and #Gamification: http://t.…
- @Bunchball Here's a new enterprise #gamification case study via @OvumICT: SAP Community Network (#SCNGameOn) http://t.co/TjKx4qG5Ob
- @Bunchball See how IT professional community @thwack is using IT-specialized #Gamification: http://t.co/R6d0XU07Sx
- @Bunchball Our own @rajatrocks on why games are the WRONG FRAME for #gamification: https://t.co/bFfnJ3erS1 #loyalty30
- @Bunchball #BigData meets #Gamification in the new book from @rajatrocks. "Look Inside" the upcoming book on Amazon: http://t.co/HbRBTkIPCr #Loyalty30
- @Bunchball In case you missed: #Infographic - How #Gamification Is Becoming The New Normal: http://t.co/d1EmyHfO0l
- @Bunchball New @forrester report -"#Gamification: 'Level Up' Your Strategic Approach" w/ customers @Psych_USA, @Adobe & @Eloqua http://t.co/5z3PIUpeKn
- @badgeville Great to see our customer @engineyard finding such value: http://t.co/EbqnCUzXAr #gamification
- @badgeville Nice use of event #gamification at #DSM13...still time to talk to @badgeville about enterprise #engagement and get that monster TV...
- @Bunchball Bunchball Founder Rajat Paharia to Speak at IBM Exceptional Web Experience. Learn more: http://t.co/6BiAHCZfBt #gamification #ibmexperience
- @Bunchball You can now take a "Look Inside" @rajatrocks' upcoming #Loyalty30 book: http://t.co/yVuxRUY0Ib #Gamification #BigData
- @Bunchball Congrats to #gamification customer @silaslyons_RS & @BreakingNews_RS on the launch of their tablet evening newspaper: http://t.co/PJzSN99dd1
- @Bunchball RT @sandesht: Straight from the horse's mouth - @rajatrocks from @Bunchball talks about #gamification at @Columbia Awesome! http://t.co/N7…
- @Bunchball .@sysconmedia covers the merger of #BigData & #Gamification http://t.co/q5s2OPsSMC. Interested in learning even more? http://t.co/1XhqyaNjuR
- @Bunchball .@RajatRocks weighs in on the #Gamification & Unhealthy Competition debate: http://t.co/HVLkFxPrLf
- @Bunchball #Gamification customer in the press: Why brands are lining up for @USA_Network's digital extensions. http://t.co/d7y7TiLm1h (via @bcbeat)
- @Bunchball Using #Gamification to Improve Productivity, Engagement, and Morale: A Free Whitepaper: http://t.co/WP0Q99Hric
- @badgeville RT MT @DocuSign: @kduggan keeps #biz digital: 6 Key Ways to Drive Results Across Enterprise w/ #Gamification - http://t.co/d1yf8FeVYX #DSM13
- @Bunchball "5 Ways @Zamzee Gets Your Kids off the Couch" - 5 more reasons to buy one! http://t.co/WPQoHh3G1U #Gamification
- @Bunchball How Social Intranets Cultivate High Performers http://t.co/u5r0OIQay5 (via @cmswire) #socbiz #gamification
- @Bunchball Check out @JesseLahey's GC08 podcast featuring @rajatrocks: "Creating #Loyalty30 at Work " http://t.co/5nuwyHToGA #gamification
- @Bunchball Does #gamification cause an unhealthy competition amongst co-workers? http://t.co/JiTaAyYaYL (via @cmswire)
- @Bunchball Hear Michael M and Phaedra from Games at Work discuss #gamification, #gsummit, & #loyalty30 on their latest podcast. http://t.co/eI7vpv1JgM
- @Bunchball Our own @rajatrocks will be speaking at Global #WFMsummit on June 19 in Chicago. See you there? http://t.co/iqOcnYo8l8 #gamification
- @Bunchball Check out this @cmswire debate: #Gamification & Unhealthy Competition http://t.co/JiTaAyYaYL
- @Bunchball Looking for an enterprise #gamification case study? Check out @OvumICT's analysis of @SAPCommNet. http://t.co/vh16q7vkvs
- @Bunchball Kevin Spier's presentation on #gamification & employee motivation at @DMIfeed is now online. Check it out: http://t.co/J2TsAEB5yz
- @Bunchball Why #gamification may be a classic #SiliconValley misnomer. http://t.co/3mAatL9d7y (via @SVbizjournal)
- @Bunchball Interesting #Infographic: How #Gamification is Winning http://t.co/xthXzjLwhD (via @rtouchpoints)
- @Bunchball Read about the crowdsourcing and #gamification efforts of IT professional community @thwack & @solarwinds http://t.co/aXdAvdSlKl
- @Bunchball Learn now #BigData & #Gamification can work together to revolutionize customer & employee engagement: http://t.co/tILtSCmjQi #Loyalty30